California condor photos taken by Michael Klatt during a March 2016 trip up the coast to San Simeon. In 2013 nine condors released in central California died. Lead toxicosis, when it could be determined, was the cause of the deaths. During that same year, 22 other condors tested high in lead and would have added to the fatalities had they not received treatment. We need to further educate those using guns to not use lead bullets in their hunting and shooting activities. The condors need our help.
Micro trash is also a problem for the condors. They sometimes ingest small pieces of plastic that they find. It is important to keep our cars clean when traveling along the Big Sur coastline. The high winds that are frequent in the area, blow the trash and tiny pieces of plastic out of our cars when we open doors. The condors eating the trash and plastic can get sick and die. When we see trash alongside the roadside, we can help the condors by picking it up and disposing of it properly.